Translate

Monday 9 March 2015

homemade almond milk


                                                  

I thought I would give almond milk a go, you can find some in the fresh milk section of the supermarket . Of course it was  full off preservatives and the second largest ingredient amount was sugar(thought it was meant to be a healthy alternative to milk!) not that there's anything wrong with milk, of course. Just though i'd try it, as I have heard that almonds are good for you. They provide us with calcium and the antioxidant vitamin E. So then I thought about making my own and took to the net(as usual) I discovered how easy it is to make your own fresh almond milk. All you need is a cup of almonds, a blender, cheese cloth or something similar and a jar. What could be easier.

So lets get started: Soak 1 cup of almonds overnight. Then give them a rinse through with clean water


               Put the almonds in the blender with two cups of water and blend  for about a minute,
         or until you see the nuts are well and truly chopped up and the water resembles a white milk

                      Put the cheese cloth over the jar or whatever you are using to store the milk,
                               I hold the cloth in place by putting an elastic band round the rim.

                      Pour out the blended mixture into the cloth and let the milk seep through.
                         Once all the milk has been poured out, you will be left with the pulp.

 
                            Wrap the cloth round the pulp and squeeze out the remaining milk.

 
Put the pulp aside and either leave the milk unsweetened or add as many drops of stevia liquid to taste.
 
The good thing about the stevia liquid is, you can find your preferred taste drop by drop.
 
 
 
I store the milk in a air tight container in the fridge for about four days, not sure if it will lasts longer but that's as long as it lasts in my house, before it's all gone.
 
So that's it, as easy as that.
I hope you enjoy it and feel free to let me know your thoughts and if you give it a try.



No comments:

Post a Comment